- Mission & Vision
- Executive Commitee
- Scientific Committee
- Industrial Advisory Board
- Education Advisory Board
The Center for Mathematical Modeling (CMM) is a national leading scientific center for research and applications of mathematics. It aims to create new mathematics and use it to solve problems coming from other sciences, the industry and public policies.
It was created in 2000 by a group of researchers of the Department of Mathematical Engineering at Universidad de Chile and the Department of Mathematical Engineering at Universidad de Concepción, with the support of FONDAP ANID (formerly CONICYT).
It is supported by Financiamiento Basal from ANID. CMM is also the International Research Laboratory IRL #2807 of the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) of France, and has an important worldwide network of counterparts.
Over these two decades the Center has contributed to the innovation and solution of public and industrial problems in areas where mathematical modeling has shown to be essential, specially where the Chilean economy has advantages, like mining, astronomy, energy and natural resources. Nowadays features six strategic areas (CMM Climate & Biodiversity, CMM Data Science, CMM Digital Health, CMM Education, CMM Digital Mining and CMM Resource Management), one initiative and one national laboratory, covering a wide range of application areas.
From 2020 onwards, in addition to the founding institutions, the Center for Mathematical Modeling is also constituted by Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (UAI), Universidad Andrés Bello (UNAB), Universidad Católica de la Santísima Concepción (UCSC), Universidad de O’Higgins (UOH), Universidad de Valparaíso (UV), Universidad del Bío-Bío (UBB) and Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (USM) as associate institutions.
Mission & Vision
The mission of the CMM is to create new mathematics and use it to solve problems coming from other sciences, the industry and public policies. Its aim is to develop science with the highest standards, which also guides its endeavors in industrial research and education.
We envision CMM as a world class center of excellence for research and advanced training in applied mathematics, internationally recognized as a platform for mathematical industrial modeling with the highest impact in innovation.
- To sustain the mathematical leadership of CMM.
- To be a world leader platform for mathematical modeling.
- To be a reference center for undergraduate, doctoral and postdoctoral training in applied and industrial mathematics.
- To propose a creative and challenging environment for young researchers and engineers.
- To contribute to the solution of industrial problems in areas where the Chilean economy has advantages.
- To have an important presence in the development of education in school mathematics.
- To increase the social awareness on the role of mathematics in contemporary society and technological development.
- Executive Director: Héctor Ramírez
- Deputy Director: Maya Stein
- Strategic directors
- Executive Manager: Irene López
The Committee meets periodically –once a week– in order to analyze the day to day needs of the Center such as: Requests from and support to the current projects, the organization of conferences and seminars, grants, new research agreements, invitations, visits, minor equipment. Current Committee members:
- Héctor Ramírez – Director
- Maya Stein – Deputy Director & Academic Director
- Raimund Bürger
- José Correa
- Sebastian Donoso
- Irene López – Executive Manager
- Claudio Muñoz – Director of the Department of Mathematical Engineering (ex officio)
- Jaime Ortega
- Darinka Radovic – President of the CMM Gender & Equity Committee
- Hanne Van Den Bosch
International Scientific Committee (ISC)
The ISC comprises selected worldwide renowned researchers in the areas actively developed at CMM. This board helps CMM to assess its strengths and weaknesses, and in keeping abreast of the new trends in fundamental and applied research activities. Current Committee members:
- Sir John Ball (President), Heriot-Watt University, UK
- Jean Bertoin, Universität Zürich, Switzerland
- María J. Esteban, CNRS & Université Paris-Dauphine, France
- Solomon Friedberg, Boston College, USA
- Martin Grötschel, Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities, Germany
- Carlos Kenig, University of Chicago, USA
- Bryna Kra, Northwestern University, USA
- Sylvie Méleard, École Polytechnique, France
- Katya Scheinberg, Cornell University, USA
Industrial Advisory Board (IAB)
This board advises CMM on industrial topics and the opening of the Center to new areas of applications and new business opportunities. Current Committee members:
- Maurizio Arienzo, CEO, NovaWare Inc.
- Álvaro Fischer, Founding partner and director of Resiter
- Yuji Inoue, former Chairman of the Board at Toyota Info-Technology Center Co. Ltd.
- Claude Puech, President of the Board at Inria Chile
- Fernando Schwartz, VP Data Science & ML Engineering, ADP
Education Advisory Board
This council advises CMM on research and knowledge transfer in the field of education. To be launched over the coming year.